This project is read-only.

use any xml file as data input

Jun 8, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Hi,

Using the spreadsheet for inputs is a nice idea. However, not everybody has Excel installed (like me) and this requirement makes XMLProcess less powerful.

So I was thinking of using an standard xml file instead of the spreadsheet. The xml would follow a given format such as:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configurations>
    <configuration name="FIRST-CONFIG">
        <property name="prop1" value="value1" />
        <property name="prop2" value="value2" />
    </configuration>
    <configuration name="SECOND-CONFIG">
        <property name="prop1" value="othervalue1" />
        <property name="prop2" value="othervalue2" />
    </configuration>
</configurations>

This is just a proposal for the xml format, but the idea is here.

Thanks

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:41 PM

You may already know this, but XmlPreprocess does already support individual environment settings files (see the "Settings" sample)

--settings-production.xml--
<settings>
 <property name="prop1">production_value1</property>
 <property name="prop2">production_value2</property>
</settings>

--settings-development.xml--
<settings>
 <property name="prop1">development_value1</property>
 <property name="prop2">development_value2</property>
</settings>

These files can be passed in using the /s argument.

XmlPreprocess.exe /i input.xml /o output-development.xml /s settings-development.xml
XmlPreprocess.exe /i input.xml /o output-testing.xml /s settings-testing.xml
XmlPreprocess.exe /i input.xml /o output-integration.xml /s settings-integration.xml
XmlPreprocess.exe /i input.xml /o output-production.xml /s settings-production.xml

This may not meet your requirements however. I realize you are asking for a unified file that contains all of the environments in one file. But I just thought I'd point this out in case you hadn't seen it.

Jun 8, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Actually, I thought I did see this, but couldn't find it, so I post this message, thinking I had dream about it.

Then, searching later for something else, I found it again :)

I did not cancel my message, because as you noticed, I was more thinking of a unified file rather one file per configuration.

Actually, it is not that having several files bothers me that much. But in term of maintenance, I anticipate it will be easier (hense safer) to add a new property in ten sections in one file rather than in on section but in ten files.

Also, if there's one file, a default section could be used to feed missing properties in other sections, thus avoiding to have too much duplicates (so this would be a second feature request :))

I can leave without all that implemented, but I really think XMLProcess would be better with them.

For the story: I will use your tool at my work to build configuration files into a continuous integration platform (TeamCity). So anyway, thanks for it because you save me a lot of time.

Dec 11, 2010 at 12:58 AM

I am a supporter of a feature that would allow to have environments to be defined in one file.