This project is read-only.

Using SQL table instead of XML Excel file

May 27, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Dear ,

I face with one new issue and hope that somebody maybe can offer good solution.

Namely as you know we use Settings.xml (Excel sheet) to define values for Test, Integration and Production environment.

What I would like to ask you is possible that we create one table in SQL database which will has same structure as Excel file (for example with columns Environment Name, Default, Local, Test, Integration, Production) and to use that SQL table as a source (instead of Excel file).

I suppose that this is tricky question but hope that someobdy maybe has experience with this.

Thanks in advance.

May 27, 2011 at 2:35 PM
Edited May 27, 2011 at 2:35 PM

You could modify the code to do that, but I haven’t seen anything in the source code that would provide this currently. It wouldn’t be hard to modify the code to do what you want.

Aug 2, 2011 at 3:48 PM

I ran into a situation where I needed this functionality and so I modified the source code to handle a /db command line parameter that allows you to specify connection string names (which are defined in the XmlPreprocess.exe.config file) for use.  If you still need this, let me know and I will figure out a way to get it to you.

Aug 2, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Hi AMcMilan,

First thanks on your answer.

I will be very happy if I can get that.

Think that with this functionality XmlPreprocessor will became really better tool.

You can send me it on stomar_3@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards.

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Hey stomar,

I have sent you my version.  Of course it is pretty tailored to how I use XmlPreprocess, but hopefully it will work ok for you as well.  Let me know if I can be of any help.

--Andrew